NAFSI AFRIKA ACROBATS
Nafsi Afrika Acrobats is under the umbrella of Nafsi Afrika Entertainment (mother group), which also encompasses Nafsi Afrika Dancers and Nafsi Afrika Percussionists.
Nafsi Afrika Acrobats is a registered community based organisation and a vehicle through which artistic talent can be resourced and Nurtured under the Kenya Ministry of Culture and Social Services (Registration Number pad/369/05).
Nafsi is the swahili word for "soul". The group name, Nafsi Afrika, is a cliché meaning we are the soul of Africa and we have Africa deep within our souls.’ We are proud to be creating solutions to some of the enormous socio-economic problems facing people in Kenya through the use of acrobatics, dance and theatrical performances.
Nafsi Afrika was formed in the year 2000 by seven members, each from very poor backgrounds. The group’s humble beginnings are all centred around the Kawangware slums in Kenya. Despite Kenya having a hugely popular tourism trade, it also hosts some of the worlds largest informal settlements. For example, Kibera slums accomodates between 800,000 and 1 million people. Kibera is the largest slum in Africa, and one of the largest in the world. However, this is just one of the many slums in Kenya.
The members of Nafsi Afrika all hail from impoverished backgrounds, and their greatest testament is the way that they have all worked to get out of these hopeless situations to become professional acrobats and dancers.
• Uniting our artistic talents together for display under a common umbrella to raise awareness about community issues through the platform of performance.
• Acting as role models and social activists for the community.
• Tapping into, and preserving talent and culture.
• Curbing idleness, social injustices (e.g. drug abuse and crime) and poverty.
• Forming arts related projects to rehabilitate disadvantaged children.
Our vision is to empower youths through:
• Embracing their talents,
• Appreciating and being proud of our cultural heritage,
• Helping them to become role models who are instrumental in the positive development of their community.
CULTURAL TOURISM PROPOSAL FOR VISITORS IN KENYA